Wednesday, 3 July 2013
5 Foods For Pancreas Health
1. Kale and Spinach
- Kale is a good source of kaempferol, a dietary flavonoid that has been linked to lowering the risk of pancreatic cancer.
- Spinach is loaded with vitamin B and iron, which are essential to the pancreas.
2. Oatmeal and Brown Rice
- Whole grains such as oatmeal and brown rice are among the best foods for pancreatitis patients. They are rich in B-complex vitamins, which helps improve the condition of pancreatitis.
- Pancreatitis patients are supposed to avoid refined foods including white breads, sugar and pasta.
3. Blueberries and Red Grapes
- As reported by Reuters in April 2008, a laboratory study has indicated that skin of red grapes can destroy pancreatic cancer cells. Researchers attribited this to polyphenolic compounds in red grape skin called resveratrol.
- Blueberries are packed with pterostilbenes, which are antioxidant phytochemicals to prevent various cancers including pancreatic cancer.
4. Broccoli and Cabbage
- Glucosinolates that are highly contained in cruciferous vegetables -- including broccoli and cabbage -- can be converted into isothiocyanates, which are potent anti-carcinogens to help prevent pancreatic cancer and other types of malignancy.
5. Reishi Mushrooms
- A report has been published by The American Journal of Chinese Medicine in 2011, in which the reishi mushroom has shown its ability to inhibit the growth of cancer cells.
- On the website of The University of Maryland Medical Center, reishi mushrooms have been suggested for the use of pancreatitis treatment. Reishi mushrooms are considered an alternative medicine. You should talk to your doctor before using.