TEN GREAT REASONS TO DRINK LEMON WATER!
We all know or have been told that drinking lemon water first thing in the morning is especially good for cleansing the liver and to kick start our digestive system, and it is completely true, but lemon water does much more than that.
Here is the top 10, out of many, benefits of drinking lemon water.
1. Boosts your immune system: Lemons are high in vitamin C and potassium, which stimulates brain and nerve function. Potassium also helps control blood pressure.
2. Balances pH: Lemon is one of the most alkaline foods around. Yes, lemon has citric acid but it does not create acidity in the body once metabolized, so, you’ll reduce your body’s overall acidity.
3. Helps with weight loss: To fight hunger cravings maintain a more alkaline diet, this is because lemons are high in pectin fiber.
4. Aids in digestion: It encourages the liver to produce bile which is an acid that required for digestion, which reduces heartburn and constipation.
5. Is a diuretic: Lemons increase the rate of urination in the body, which helps purify it from toxins, therefore, helps keep your urinary tract healthy.
6. Clears skin: Lemon water purges toxins from the blood which helps keep skin clear as well, this is thanks to the vitamin C component, which helps decrease wrinkles and blemishes.
7. Freshens breath: The citric acid can kill the bacteria, so it can help relieve tooth pain and gingivitis.
8. Relieves respiratory problems: Warm lemon water helps get rid of chest infections and halt those pesky coughs.
9. Keeps you zen: Vitamin C is one of the first things depleted when your mind and body are subjected to stress, and in the lives we lead, who is not?
10. Helps kick the coffee habit: Normally after a glass of hot lemon water, you don’t crave coffee in the morning. Try it yourself!
The recipe is really simple - a cup of warm water (not hot) and the juice from half of a lemon. Or just put one or two slices of lemon in a glass of water.
A short video on health benefits of drinking lemon water