Rice is a staple food in most countries. Rice provide fast and instant energy, good bowel movement, stabilising blood sugar level and providing essential vitamin B1 to human body. Rice also contains all the amino acids essential for nourishing and maintaining the body.
1. Rice expand 2 to 3 times when cooked. So the cooking pot must be large enough.
2. The amount of water is key. For rice that do not need washing, use 2 cups of water to 1 cup of rice. But if the rice need to be rinsed, reduce the water to 1.5 cup to 1 cup of rice. That is because after rinsing, the rice would have absorbed some water during the rinsing.
3. For cooking with a pot, use low heat (watch video)
4. When the rice is cooked, let it sit for about 15 minutes so that the moisture in the rice redistribute itself for a more uniform texture.
5. For an average person, half a cup of rice is enough.
In this first video, the rice is cook without washing.
In this second video Ming Tsai rinse the rice and also use the rice cooker.